Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another ENT Update

Two and a half weeks ago I wrote about how Callie had ongoing congestion, went through two rounds of antibiotics, and still had an infection in her right ear.  After the fever I mentioned, we ended up filling the third antibiotic prescribed by her pediatrician and finally the runny nose and cold symptoms cleared.  Today we went to Dr. Silva's (ENT) for a follow up appointment.  He advised her ears are still filled with fluid and her right ear is still infected!  He went ahead and prescribed antibiotic #4, Augmentin.  Crazy!  Since she has now had fluid in her ears for 6 months and multiple ear infections, we agreed it is time to move forward and get her ear tubes.  In addition he performed a nasal endoscopy and discovered her tonsils and adenoids are very large.  This unfortunately means he also recommended that they be removed.  Hopefully it will not take too long to get the surgery scheduled.  At least the tubes, tonsillectomy, and adenoidectomy can all be performed at once although I really hate that she has to go through all of this.  Now that we have decided what to do, I am anxious to get it over with.  And I am holding out a little hope that these changes might possibly help her speech and/or feeding.  We will see.  

In the meantime Callie's sleep study is scheduled next week.  We will hopefully find out whether or not she has apnea.  If so, it will help confirm removing her tonsils is the right decision.

Here is a picture of our little girl tonight.  She loves her doodle boards and you can see how well she holds the pen.  Her hair is getting long and she is starting to look so grown up.  Love her!!  :-)



Caring for Callie Copyright © 2011 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino